Monday, December 6, 2010

thoughts on the future

Though I'm not in any relationship, I've come to the realization over the past year that I've done a complete 180 on my thoughts on having a kid.  I used to think "never!" or "only if I adopt."  Now?  I'm completely and hopelessly wanting kids in my future.

I'm the kind of person that tries to think globally about everything.  I want to preserve the Earth for the future.  I want to see less violence and more love.  I used to think that having a kid would only be another carbon-consuming mouth in the world.  I would be so afraid of kids:  what if the one I raise ends up being a horrible serial killer?  Another dirty, lying politician?  Do I really want that to be my kid?

But I've come to the realization that I am truly responsible for how I'm to raise this hypothetical child.  If I have a boy, I'll raise him to respect women, to treat them as his equal, to reject the hypermasculinity that is so rampant in Western culture.  If I have a girl, I'll raise her to be kick-ass (not literally!), to stand up for herself, to make her own decisions in life.  If my kid is gay, bi, trans, whatever, they can be that, and I will love them no less.  I will teach my kids to love all other beings on this earth, to care for nature and all her wonders.  I will.  This is my promise to myself.

I hope my kids think I'm weird when they're little, yet that they appreciate my lessons when they start growing "up."

On a related note, I love looking up kid names.  It's so much fun to imagine these little people that may work their way into your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment